1. Rayman MP. The importance of selenium to human health. Lancet. 2000;356:233.
2. Foster LH, Sumar S. Selenium in health and disease: A review. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 1997;37:211.
3.Kubena KS, McMurray DN. Nutrition and the immune system: A review of nutrient-nutrient interactions. J Am Diet Assoc. 1996;96:1156.
4. Look MP, et al. Serum selenium, plasma glutathione and erythrocyte glutathione peroxidase levels in asymptomatic vs. symptomatic HIV infection. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1997;51:266.
5. Olivieri O, et al. Selenium, zinc, and thyroid hormones in healthy subjects: Low T3/T4 ratio in the elderly is related to impaired selenium status. Biol Trace Elem Res. 1996;51:31.
6. Levander OA, Burk RF. Selenium. In: Ziegler EE, Filer LJ, eds. Present Knowledge in Nutrition. Washington DC: ILSI Press; 1996.
7.Tarp U. Selenium and rheumatoid arthritis: A review. Analyst. 1995;120:877.
8. Garland M, et al. The epidemiology of selenium and human cancer. In: Frei B, ed. Natural antioxidants in human health and disease. San Diego: Academic Press; 1994:263.
9. Clark LC, et al. Effects of selenium supplementation for cancer prevention in patients with carcinoma of the skin. JAMA. 1996;276:1957.
10. Baum MK, et al. High risk of HIV-related mortality is associated with selenium deficiency. J Acquir Immune Def Syndr Hum Retrovirol. 1997;15:370.
11. Kok FJ, et al. Decreased selenium levels in acute myocardial infarction. JAMA. 1989;261:1161.
12. Levander O. Human selenium nutrition and toxicity. In: Mertz W, et al., eds. Risk Assessment of Essential Trace Elements. Washington DC: ILSI Press; 1994.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for deciding to learn more about the disorder, Osteoarthritis. Inside these pages, you will learn what it is, who is most at risk for developing it, what causes it, and some treatment plans to help those that do have it feel better. While there is no definitive “cure” for Osteoarthritis, there are ways in which individuals can improve their quality of life and change the discomfort level to one that can be tolerated on a daily basis.