1. Choose the term that does not belong in the following group, and explain why it does not belong: saddle joint, pivot joint, fixed joint, and hinge joint, and ball-and-socket joint.
2. Distinguish between compact bone and spongy bone.
3. Use the following key terms in the same sentence: actin, muscle fiber, myofibrils, and myosin.
4. Word Roots and Origins The word epidermis is derived from the Greek derma, which means "skin." The prefix epi means "on." Using this information, explain why the term epidermis is a good name for the anatomical structure it describes.
Understanding key concepts
5. Define epithelial tissue.
6. Explain the relationship between cells, tissues, organs, and organ systems.
7. Summarize the functions of the primary organ systems in the human body.
8. Describe the organs that can be found in the abdominal cavity.
9. List all of the bones in the axial skeleton.
10. Identify the five functions of the skeletal system.
11. Explain the role the Haversian canals play in compact bone.
12. Define red bone marrow. Where is it produced, and what is its function?
13. Summarize how bones develop and elongate.
14. State three types of joints, and give examples of each type.
15. Describe the cause and symptoms of the disease rheumatoid arthritis.
16. Explain the difference between skeletal muscle, smooth muscle, and cardiac muscle.
17. Describe the components of a sarcomere.
18. Illustrate how a skeletal muscle contracts.
19. Explain how muscles move bones.
20. Name the functions of tendons and ligaments.
21. List four functions of the skin.
22. Identify the difference between the epidermis and the dermis.
23. Define melanin. What is its role in the body?
24. Explain the similarities and differences between nails and hair.
Was this article helpful?