1. Minimo AM, Arias E, Kochanek KD, Murphy SL, Smith BL. Final data for 2000. National vital statistics report. Vol. 15. No 12. Hyattsville, Maryland: National Center for Health Statistics, 2002, available at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lifepec.htm
2. Schneider EL, Guralnik JM. The aging of America: Impact on health care costs. JAMA 1990; 63:2335-2340.
3. Goulding MR. Public health and aging: Trends in aging-United States and worldwide. JAMA 2003; 289:1371-1373.
4. Levit K, Smith C, Cowan C, Lazenby H, Sensenig A, Catlin A. Trends in U.S. health care spending, 2001. Health Affairs 2003; 22:154-164.
5. Wolff JL, Starfield B, Anderson G. Prevalence, expenditures, and complications of multiple chronic conditions in the elderly. Arch Intern Med 2002; 162:2269 -2276.
6. Jacobzone S, Oxley H.'Aging and health care costs. International politics and Society1/2002. Available at http://fesportal.fes.de/Pls/portal30/docs/folder/ipg/ ipg1_2002/ artjacobzone.htm
7. Bishop CE, Gilden D, Blom J, et al. Medicare spending for injured elders: Are there opportunities for savings? Health Affairs 2002; 21:215-223.
8. Letournel E, Judet R. Fractures of the Acetabulum. 2nd ed. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1993:17-361.
9. Howe W Jr, Lacy T, Schwartz RP. A study of the gross anatomy of the arteries supplying the proximal portion of the femur and acetabulum. J Bone Joint Surg 1950; 32A:856-866.
10. Clemente CD. Gray's Anatomy of the Human Body. 13th American ed. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger, 1985:752-765.
11. Ragnarsson B, Jacobsson B. Epidemiology of pelvic fractures in a Swedish country. Acta Orthop Scand 1992; 63:297-300.
12. Gansslen A, Pohlemann T, Paul CH, Lobenhoffer PH, Tschernne H.'Epidemiology of Pelvic Ring injuries. Injury 1966; 27(suppl 1):13-20.
13. Melton LJ, Sampson JM, Morrey BF, Ilstrup DM. Epidemiologic features of pelvic fractures. Clin Orthop 1981; 155:43-47.
14. Cooper KL, Beabout JW, McLeod RA. Supraacetabular insufficiency fractures. Radiology 1985; 157:15-17.
15. Otte MT, Helms CA, Fritz RC. MR imaging of supra-acetabular insufficiency fractures. Skeletal Radiol 1997; 26:279-283.
16. Hedlund R, Lindgren U, Ahlbom A. Age and sex specific incidence of femoral neck and tro-chanteric fractures. Clin Orthop 1987; 222:132-139.
17. Gallagher JC, Melton LJ, Riggs BL, Bergtrath E. Epidemiology of fractures of the proximal femur in Rochester Minnesota. Clin Orthop 1980; 150:163-167.
18. Koval KJ, Skovran ML, Polatsch D, Aharonoff GB, Zuckerman JD. Dependency after hip fracture in geriatric patients: a study of predictive factors. J Orthop Trauma 1996; 10: 531-535.
19. Herscovici D, Bohlhofner BR, Lindvall E, Scaduto JM. The combined hip procedure: open reduction internal fixation with concurrent total hip arthroplasty for the management of acetabular fractures in the elderly. Presented at the 17th Annual Orthopaedic Trauma Association Meeting, San Diego CA, 2001.
20. Judet R, Judet J, Letournel E. Fractures of the Acetabulum classification and surgical approaches for open reduction. Preliminary report. J Bone Joint Surg 1964; 46A:1615-1646.
21. Matta JM, Anderson LM, Epstein HC, Hendricks P. Fractures of the acetabulum. A retrospective analysis. Clin Orthop 1986; 205:230-240.
22. Olsen SA, Maurizi MG, Hassien J, Pear AJ. A review of computerized tomography evaluation of acetabular fractures. Part 2. Contemp Orthop 1991; 23:436-447.
23. Griffiths HJ, Standertskjold-Nordenstany CG, Burke J, Lamont B, Cimmel J. Computed tomography in the management of acetabular fractures. Skeletal Radiol 1984; 11:22-31.
24. Calkins MS, Zych G, Latta L, Boija FJ, Mnaymneh W. Computerized tomography evaluation of stability in posterior fracture dislocations of the hip. Clin Orthop 1988; 227:152-1613.
25. Keith JE, Brashear HR, Guilford WB. Stability of posterior fracture dislocations of the hip: quantatative assessment using computed tomography. J Bone Joint Surg 1988; 70A: 711-714.
26. Brumbak RJ, Holt ES, McBride MS, Poka A, Bathon GH, Burgess AR. Acetabular depression fracture accompanying posterior fracture dislocation of the hip. J Orthop Trauma 1990; 4:42-48.
27. Olsen SA, Matta JM. The computerized tomography subchondral arc: a new method of assessing acetabular articular continuity after fracture. (A preliminary report) J Orthop Trauma 1993; 7:402-413.
28. Gautsch TL, Johnson EE, Seeger LL. The three dimensional stereographic display of 3D reconstructed CT scans of the pelvis and acetabulum. Clin Orthop 1994; 305:138-151.
29. Schachter AK, Roberrts CS, Seligson D. Occult bilateral acetabular fractures associated with high-energy trauma and osteoporosis. J Orthop Trauma 2003; 17: 386-389.
30. Tornkvist H, Schatzker J. Acetabular fractures in the elderly: an easily missed diagnosis. J Orthop Trauma 1993; 3:233-235.
31. Spencer RF. Acetabular fractures in older patients. J Bone Joint Surg 1989; 71B: 774-776.
32. Ozaki D, Shirai Y, Nakayama Y, Uesaka S. A case report of insufficiency fracture of the fossa acetabuli in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis. J Nippon Med Sch 2000; 67:267-270.
33. Lin YM, Tong KM, Lee TS. Isolated supra-acetabular insufficiency fracture: a case report. J Formos Med Assoc 2002; 101:372-375.
34. Chary-Valckenaere I, Pere P, Grignon B, Pourel J, Gaucher A. Supra-acetabular insufficiency fractures: role of fluoride treatment and vitamin D deficiency? Br J Rheumatol 1997; 36:603-605.
35. Timsit MA, Loite F, Touchard P, Dryll A. Acetabular fractures due to bone insufficiency. A case report. Rev Rhum Engl Ed 1996; 63:364-366.
36. Schreiber S. Radiological vignette. Insufficiency fracture of the acetabulum. Clin Rheumatol 1992; 11: 440-442.
37. Lee TS, Tong KM, Ku MC. Insufficiency fracture of the acetabulum: a case report. Zhon-ghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 1995; 55: 274-277.
38. Rosa MA, Maccauro G, D'Arienzo M. Bilateral acetabular fracture without trauma. Int Orthop 1999; 23:120-121.
39. Grangier C, Garcia J, Howarth NR, Mar R, Rossier P. Role of MRI in the diagnosis of insufficiency fractures of the sacrum and acetabular roof. Skeletal Radiol 1997; 26:517524.
40. May DA, Purins JL, Smith DK. MR imaging of occult traumatic fractures and muscular injuries of the hip and pelvis in elderly patients. AJR 1996; 166:1075-1078.
41. Cauchoix M, Truchet P. Les fractures articulares dl la hanche (col excepte). Rev Chir Orthop 1951; 37:266-332.
42. Creyssel J, Schnepp J. Contribution a l'etude radiologique des fractures transcotyloidiennes du bassin. J Radiol Electrol Med Nuc 1961a; 42:601-699.
43. Rowe CR, Lowell JD. Prognosis of fractures of the acetabulum. J Bone Joint Surg 1961; 43A: 30-59.
44. Letournel E. Acetabular fractures: classifications and management. Clin Orthop 1980; 151:81-106.
45. Helfet DL, Borrelli J, DiPasquale T, Sanders R. Stabilization of acetabular fractures in elderly patients. J Bone Joint Surg 1992: 74A:7533-7765.
46. Mears DC. Surgical treatment of acetabular fractures in elderly patients with osteoporotic bone. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 1999; 7:1228-1241.
47. Matta JM. Operative treatment of acetabular fractures through the ilioinguinal approach. A ten year prospective. Clin Orthop 1994; 305:10-19.
48. Hak DJ, Olsen SA, Matta JM. Diagnosis and management of closed internal degloving injuries associated with pelvic and acetabular fractures. The Morel-Lavelle lesion. J Trauma 1997; 42:1046-1051.
49. Committee on Trauma, American College of Surgeons, eds. Advanced Trauma Life Support Manual. Chicago: American College of Surgeons, 1993.
50. Roffi RP, Matta JM. Unrecognized posterior dislocation of the hip associated with transverse and T-type fractures of the acetabulum. J Orthop Trauma 1993; 7:23-27.
51. Heeg M, Oostvogel HJM, Klasen HJ. Conservative treatment of acetabular fractures. The role of the weight-bearing dome and anatomic reduction in the ultimate results. J Trauma 1987; 27:555-559.
52. Matta JM. Fractures of the acetabulum: accuracy of reduction and clinical results in patients managed operatively within three weeks of injury. J Bone Joint Surg 1996; 78A:1632-1635.
53. Tornetta P III. Non-operative management of acetabular fractures: the use of dynamic stress views. J Bone Joint Surg 1999; 81B:67-70.
54. Templeman DC, Olsen S, Moed BR, Duwelius P, Matta J. Surgical treatment of acetabular fractures. Inst Course Lect 1999; 48:481-496.
55. Romness DW, Lewallen DG. Total hip arthroplasty after fracture of the acetabulum. J Bone Joint Surg 1990: 72B:761-764.
56. Huo MH, Solberg BD, Zatorski LE, Keggi KJ. Total hip replacements done without cement after acetabular fractures. A 4 to 8 year follow-up study. J Arthroplasty 1999; 14:827-831.
57. Bellabarba C, Berger RA, Bentley CD, et al. Cementless acetabular reconstruction after acetabular fracture. J Bone Joint Surg 2001; 83A: 868-876.
58. Boardman KP, Charnley J. Low-friction arthroplasty after fracture-dislocations of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg 1978; 60B:495-498.
59. Pritchett JW, Bortel DT. Total hip replacement after central fracture dislocation of the acetabulum. Orthop Rev 1991; 20:607-610.
60. Weber M, Berry DJ, Harrisen WS. Total hip arthroplasty after operative treatment of an acetabular fracture. J Bone Joint Surg 1998; 80A:1295-1305.
61. Harris WH. Traumatic arthritis of the hip after dislocation and acetabular fractures: treatment by mold arthroplasty. An end-result study using a new method of result evaluation. J Bone Joint Surg 1969; 51A:737-755.
62. Coventry MB. The treatment of fracture-dislocation of the hip by total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg 1974; 56A:1128-1134.
63. Hamilton WG, Born CT, Delong WG. Total hip arthroplasty after surgically treated acetabular fractures. Seminars in Arthroplasty 2001; 12:201-210.
64. Jimenez ML, Tile M, Schenk RS. Total hip replacement after acetabular fracture. Orthop Clin N Am 1997; 28:435-446.
65. Mears DC, Velyvis JH. Acute total hip arthroplasty for selected displaced acetabular fractures. Two to twelve year results. J Bone Joint Surg 2002; 84A:1-9.
66. Jolly MJ, Mears DC. The role of total hip arthroplasty in acetabular fracture management. Operative Tech Orthop 1993; 1:80-102.
67. Westborn A. Central dislocation of the femoral head treated with mold arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg 1954; 36A:307-342. .
68. Rowe CR, Lowell JD. Prognosis of fractures of the acetabulum. J Bone Joint Surg 1961; 43A:30-59.
69. Kelly PJ, Lipscomb PR. Primary vitallium mold arthroplasty for posterior dislocation of the hip with fracture of the femoral head. J Bone Joint Surg 1958; 40A:675-680. .
70. Matta JM. Fractures of the acetabulum: accuracy of reduction and clinical results in patients managed operatively within three weeks after injury. J Bone Joint Surg 1996; 78A: 16321645.
71. Mayo KA. Open reduction and internal fixation of fractures of the acetabulum. Results in 163 fractures. Clin Orthop 1994; 305:31-37.
72. Ragnarsson B, Mjoberg B. Arthrosis after surgically treated acetabular fractures. A retrospective study of 60 cases. Acta Orthop Scand 1992; 65:511-514.
73. Anglen JO, Burd TA, Hendricks KJ, Harrison P. The "gull" sign. A harbinger of failure for internal fixation of geriatric acetabular fractures. J Orthop Trauma 2003; 17:625-634.
74. Weavers JK, Chalmers J. Cancellous bone: it's strength and changes with aging and an evaluation of some methods for measuring it's mineral content. J Bone Joint Surg 1966; 48A:289-299.
75. Wagner HD, Wein S. On the relationship between the microstructure of bone and it's mechanical stiffness. J Biomech 1992; 25:1311-1320.
76. Mears DC, Velyvis JH, Chang C. Displaced acetabular fractures managed operatively: indicators of outcome. CORR 2003; 407:173-186.
77. Routt MLC Jr, Simonian PT, Grujic L. The retrograde medullary superior ramus screw for the treatment of anterior pelvic ring disruptions: a new technique. J Orthop Trauma 1995; 9:355-44.
78. Starr AJ, Jones AL, Reinert CM, Borer DS. Preliminary results and complications following limited open reduction and percutaneous screw fixation of displaced fractures of the aceta-bulum. Injury 2001; 32(suppl 1):A45-50.
79. Starr AJ, Reinert CM, Jones AL. Percutaneous fixation of the columns of the acetabulum: A new technique. J Orthop Trauma 1998; 12:51 -58.
80. Routt MLC Jr, Barei DP, Schildhauer T. Percutaneous fixation of pelvic and acetabular injuries. Seminars in Arthroplasty 2001; 12:173-184.
81. Crowl AC, Kaher DM. Closed reduction and percutaneous fixation of anterior column acetabular fractures. Comput Aided Surg 2002; 7:169-178.
82. Jacob AL, Suhm N, Kaim A, Regazzoni P, Steinbrich W, Messiner P. Coronal acetabular fractures: the anterior approach in computed tomography-navigated minimally invasive percutaneous fixation. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2000; Oct (5):327-331.
83. Parker PJ, Copeland C. Percutaneous fluoroscopic screw fixation of acetabular fractures. Injury 1997; 28:597-600.
84. Garino J, Whitfield B. Complex acetabular reconstruction in total hip arthroplasty following acetabular fractures. Seminars on Arthroplasty 2001; 12:191-200.
85. Stauffer RN. Ten year follow-up study of total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg 1982; 64A:983-990.
86. Mears DC. Avascular necrosis of the acetabulum. Oper Tech Orthop 1997; 7:241-249.
87. Herberts P, Malchow H. How outcome studies have changed total hip arthroplasty practices in Sweden. Clin Orthop 1997; 344:44-60.
88. Padgett DE, Kull LR, Rosenberg A, Summer DR, Galante JD. Revision of the acetabular component without cement after total hip arthroplasty. Three to six year follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg 1993; 75A:663-673.
89. Mears DC, Ward AJ. Late Results of Total hip Arthroplasty to Manage Post-traumatic Arthritis of Acetabular Fractures. Fractures of the Pelvis and Acetabulum. Pittsburgh, PA: The Third International Consensus, 1996.
90. Kaplan EL, Meier P. Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Statist Assn 1958; 53:457-481.
91. Karpos PAG, Christie MJ. THR following acetabular fracture using cementless acetabular components: 4 to 8 year results. Presented at the Annual Meeting if the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, Dallas, TX, October 1995.
92. Carnesale PG, Stewart MJ, Barnes SN. Acetabular disruption and central fracture-dislocation of the hip. A long term study. J Bone Joint Surg 1975; 57A: 1054-1059.
93. Nivbrantt B, Karrholm, Onsten I, Carlsson A, Snorrason F. Migration of porous press fit cups in hip revision arthroplasty. A stereoradiographic 2-year follow-up of 50 hips. J Arthroplasty 1996; 11:390-396.
94. Onsten I, Akesson K, Besjakov J, Obraut KJ. Migration of the Charnley stem in rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. A roentgen stereophotogrammetric study. J Bone Joint Surg 1995; 77B: 18-22.
95. Malkin C, Tauber C. Total hip arthroplasty and acetabular bone grafting for unreduced fracture-dislocation of the hip. Clin Orthop 1985; 201:57-59.
96. Mears DC, Shirahama M. Stabilization of an acetabulum fracture with cables for acute total hip aarthroplasty. J Arthrop 1998; 13:104-107.
Was this article helpful?
This report may be oh so welcome especially if theres no doctor in the house Take Charge of Your Arthritis Now in less than 5-Minutes the time it takes to make an appointment with your healthcare provider Could you use some help understanding arthritis Maybe a little gentle, bedside manner in your battle for joint pain relief would be great Well, even if you are not sure if arthritis is the issue with you or your friend or loved one.